Monday, February 4, 2008

My Man



H and I just celebrated fourteen years of marriage. We went away to a beautiful cabin on a lake and just enjoyed being together. I love this man and I love that I get to share our crazy beautiful life with him. I can't believe there was a time when I couldn't imagine living one more day with him, and today I'm not sure I could breathe without him. You must know that I have a little dysfunction in needing him a teeny bit too much, but I'm workin' on it. I also know that God gave H to me for reasons that are far beyond my understanding. H has a beautiful way of making me want to be so much more. God used Hans to show me a glimpse of what God's love for me is like and daily God uses this man to change me into the woman he created me to be.

Hans loved me when I was anything but loveable. There was a time in our marriage when I believed that if I could just get away from him I would be happy. Hans pursued me by chasing after God. I watched an amazing transformation in his heart and it gave me hope. This beautiful love that I experienced pointed me to a perfect lover of my soul and forever changed my life.

Here is a little bit of who he is......

He is surrendered to God. There are many times in our marriage that we think we know the way only to discover that we don't. I love that Hans will lead us in the direction he feels God leading us even if it doesn't make sense.

He is vulnerable. I love that he shares himself with me and others. Hans opens himself up and I get to watch God at work and it is beautiful.

He is humble. He leads the way in what we refer to as "owning your stuff". He teaches our children that we all make mistakes, alot, and that admitting them is the first step to any lasting change.

He is tender. He teaches our boys that "Molegraaf Men" cry sometimes...and it's okay.

He is a warrior. He would fight for me (sometimes to his fault). He would defend me to the death and I never doubt he would sacrifice himself for me or our children.

He is passionate. He can get very excited about things he believes in. Some may think we are a little "high drama" in our family. I think it's passion.

He is a servant. He takes care of me and does it with joy.....most days. He does a way better job at serving me than I do for him. He makes me want to be more like him in this area.

He is young at heart. Some days, if you watch closely, you can see he is merely a 12 year old boy trapped in a 34 yr old mans body. This is precious to watch.

He loves to dance, and even though he can't, he does and it's hilarious. I love that he laughs at himself and lets us laugh with him.

He openly admits that he wishes he had long straight hair. I adore his curls and wouldn't have it any other way!

He sometimes has a mild case of road rage. If someone cuts him off or gives him an ugly look or gesture he gets this sorta possessed look and transforms before your very eyes into a road rager.

He also has a temper, looses self control, talks harsh to me and our children sometimes. He openly struggles with control and judgment. You see, he is a normal man with struggles just like every man, but I love that he leads the way for our family to cling to the only one who can change us. He admits his stuff and sometimes shocks me and others with his honesty. He is doing an amazing job at teaching our family what grace looks like by daily needing it for himself. He reminds me that perfection is unattainable and I only need Jesus because me trying to measure up just isn't gonna work.

Hans David, if I could choose for myself any man in the whole wide world to be married to I would choose you. You are a perfect gift to me from God above. Happy Anniversary Baby.

God thank you for this man that you've given me. Could we please live long lives together serving you? God grow us closer to you and each other and don't let us stay the same. Would you let us be changed daily? Could we be different tomorrow than what we are today?

7 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Happy Anniversary! You are an amazing couple who I look up to and respect. Congrats on 14 years of a beautiful marriage! Love both of you.

Carrie said...

Congratulations!!!

stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary! Way to go, getting away...always beyond difficult to arrange, but always rewarding!!

Teaching the little men to "own their stuff" is such a huge process. Two steps forward, one step(or more) back. I think they'll get it one day if we just keep leading by example.

june cleaver said...

Can I just say that the two of you are just stinkin' cute!

Congratulations-ain't love grand?

Enjoy!

Aaron said...

Hanes rocks!
Star you rock too...i just have a cooler nick name for your husband.

Anonymous said...

When I think of you guys I think of passion and I think of honesty and openness. I love that about you both as people and as a couple. I think that makes you very useful to God in ways that others can never be. Way to go making it 14 years. It is nothing short of a miracle that God blesses our marriages and brings us through our own selfishness. Thanks for the blog! Melissa.

Laura said...

Oh, you made me cry! Love you guys!