Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sweet Friends








My sweet friend Lorren and her girls Zoi and Audra came and spent eight days with us for spring break. I know this may seem like a long time, and while there are not many I could tolerate for eight days, the Havens family is different. Our families gel really well together and always have. There was a time they lived with us for a two week period. Our families have vacationed together and one time all stayed in the same condo. We also had a the gift of getting to live just doors down from each other for six months before we moved.

Lorren and I have been friends for over seven years. We met back when Zac was almost one and Zoi was just 17 months. They moved to Texas from Colorado and Lorren and I just clicked. Our husbands connected almost immediately also. Hans and Aaron still to this day share a friendship that I am learning is rare and not easy to come by for men.

When Lorren and I met we were four months pregnant with the same exact due date. We were both having little girls, my Ryland who was one week early and her Audra who was one week late. Two little girls just two weeks apart best friends since birth.

Just two weeks after they left to go back home Ryland came and asked me very seriously that if she were to dig a wishing well and throw in her money with a wish, would her wish come true? She then told me she wanted to wish that Audra could come to live with us all the time.

Quite honestly that would work just fine for me. Hans would leave for work and Lorren and would tend the flock. We joked about being able to be super mom with the two of us together. If I were cooking dinner and needed to take care of a little one... no worries Lorren to the rescue. Super mom would sail in and save the day. I would turn my back to laundry, dinner or cleaning and when I would return it was done. We were unstoppable. Life for the first time ever was under control from discipline to what shoes should I wear with these pants? It was truly like having two brains and just when one was shutting down no fear Super Mom is hear!

We wondered if this was what it was like back in biblical days when some of the men had multiple wives? Now don't worry we didn't have to share husbands or anything sick like that.

We had such a great time just laughing together. I'm pretty sure we had Sonic or Starbucks everyday sometimes both in one day. Dr. Pepper was just what the doctor ordered all week long, that is until we couldn't zip our pants. There were several occasions we laughed so hard we nearly wet our pants. There were numerous times when Kylie my 13 year old said "y'all are so weird". When Kylie told her best friend some of the crazy things we did her friend said, "see Kylie they're just like us only older." I think they were somewhat relieved to see that even we still have some growing up to do.

Shortly after we left Texas to come to Arkansas God called their family to move to Oklahoma. I'm not sure why we have to live so far away from each other, but I am very thankful that even with the miles our families share such a rich friendship.

Ryland and I are off to dig our wishing well.

5 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Sigh. What a great post. What a great friend. Miss you!!

Lorren Says... said...

That picture of Z and Z on the boat is cracking me up!! LOVE all the pictures you put on here.

Lorren Says... said...

You are going to have to start monitoring your comments, Star.

stephanie said...

so sweet! thanks for sharing your fun! i feel refreshed just hearing about it!

Anonymous said...

just checking in! i love reading your blog...very good for me! blessings!